BORDER COLLIE NOSE BUTTER® THE SMART SOLUTION FOR YOUR SMART DOG'S DRY NOSE
Border Collies are known as THE smartest dogs. They are super intelligent, athletic, active and great looking to boot. NOSE BUTTER® is the smart choice for your Border Collie’s dry nose issues (sorry, bad pun, I could not help myself).
Like lots of their herding dog cousins, the Border Collie often has a dry or even crusty nose. If the crustiness is extreme, resembling layers of oysters, it could be Nasal Hyperkeratosis (more info HERE). The good news is NOSE BUTTER® works for all types of Border Collie nose dryness.
Nature tells your dog to keep his nose nice and moist for a reason. The moist skin on a healthy dog nose grabs the scent particles that float by with all the doggie scoop and news. The scent particles are then directed from the moist outer nose into a storage chamber for processing later. Hmm, dog nose internal smell hard drive.
YOUR BORDER COLLIE WAS BRED TO WORK…WORK HARD AND WORK SMART
The Border Collie was bred to do one job and do it relentlessly…to herd stuff. They are hardwired to round up various animals ranging from ducks, chickens or geese to cattle and make them go in a certain direction. The Border Collie was also a loving companion to the shepherd, spending their entire life next to him.
While the Border is famous for “The Eye” that locks into the “herdee” (I made up a word) and then works his Border Collie herding magic, he also has to use his sense of smell. Working Borders sniff the air to get the scent of stragglers and those wiley cows that meander away from the group.
Even though your Border Collie may never herd a cow, goat or goose in his life, he still responds to the inner push of centuries of DNA hard-wired into that big dog brain. NOSE BUTTER® does its part in keeping the nose moist and receptive to scents, thus making your Border Collie even smarter. Hmmm, that was a stretch, but I am sticking with it. NOSE BUTTER® = Smarter Dogs!
Here's a comparison...you take a wrong turn and end up in a part of town that feels sketchy, you start feeling tense and glance at your beloved phone. You don't have a full bar and then you see those most terrifying of words…NO SERVICE. You may not be panic attack terrified (though I would be), but you would probably be on guard until you got a signal. Yep, your dog feels like that all the time when he can't get his nose signal.
BORDER COLLIE NOSE BUTTER® AVAILABLE IN TINS AND TUBES
INGREDIENTS + INFO ON CHOOSING & USING NOSE BUTTER®
USING NOSE BUTTER®
HOW TO APPLY NOSE BUTTER
- Complete tips, hints & directions brochure is included with every order
- TIN Scoop a bit out with finger or spoon
- TUBE Point away from dog's eyes
- DAB on dog's nose
- DISTRACT to keep them from licking it off (give treat, feed dinner, go for walk)
- REPEAT 2-3x daily for 1-3 days or until nose improves
- THEN USE AS NEEDED for maintenance (1-2x a week)
- TIP: Use a spoon to scoop a bit out of tin and warm in your palm before application, if needed
- TIP: Many dogs do not like being controlled tightly and will try to get away, apply FAST
- TIP: Flat faced dogs especially don't like having their faces messed with, dab and go. Bribe liberally!
- TIP: Treats BEFORE, DURING & AFTER really works!
- MORE TIPS HERE
NOSE BUTTER® INGREDIENTS
NOSE BUTTER® is individually handcrafted here in far northern Minnesota by our dog obsessed team using the following all natural and organic good stuff.
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Seed Butter
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Castor Oil
- Olive Oil
- Scented Formulation: Cedarwood, Cypress and Ylang Ylang Essential Oils
- Or Unscented.
- More info on ingredients here.
CHOOSING NOSE BUTTER®
WHICH NOSE BUTTER DOES YOUR DOG NEED?
NOSE BUTTER is the same formulation for all the dog breeds. The breed labels celebrate the incredible diversity among dog breeds and the people who love them. Don’t see your breed? Check out JUST A NOSE (label has uh, Just A Nose) and MIXED Breed Dog labels. Dogs come in all sizes, so we offer a variety of sizes of tins and tubes.
WHICH IS BEST FOR YOUR AND YOUR DOG - TINS OR TUBES?
- NOSE BUTTER® is same formula in tins and tubes, difference is only the container
- TINS - better value per ounce
- Screw top tin - better for hot climates
- Slider top - better for those with grip issues
- TUBES - ez to use
- Tubes - no mess
- Tubes - great for travel
- FYI: Tube is like a chapstick, glue stick or deodorant tube NOT a toothpaste tube
- Toy dogs - lip balm sized tubes for tiny noses
- Larger size better value per ounce
- Larger sizes save on postage
- Older dogs need more frequent applications
- Some individual dogs need more frequent applications
- Shelf life is 3 years when stored in dry, cool conditions
NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS INFO
NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS AKA CRUSTY CRUD, BARNACLE NOSE
Is your dog’s nose EXTREMELY dry? Does it look like barnacles are growing on it? Are there layers or chunks of crust that crack and bleed? If your dog’s nose could be described as extremely dry, or looks like the BEFORE noses in the image above, it may be Nasal Hyperkeratosis. Rest assured, it is not caused by diet, genetics, playing in the dirt or anything you can control.
Nasodigital or Nasal Hyperkeratosis is an idiopathic condition, which means unknown cause ¯\(°_o)/¯ that is marked by the excessive formulation of nose crust that vets call keratin, (vet-speak for protein). It actually IS layers of skin tissue that has grown wild over on the nose. This condition isn't life-threatening and most veterinarians consider Nasal Hyperkeratosis cosmetic. But there are medical, cosmetic and mental health reasons that this dry nose condition can affect your dog's well being. It has to be uncomfortable for your dog. Your dog cannot breathe as easily. It’s unattractive, of course.
Most importantly, your dog is not getting the scents and smells they ned to feel secure and confident. A healthy moist nose snags good smells that float by and provide your dog with info. A dry nose is not going to capture the info packed smells. This can lead to frustration and a lack of self confidence. Your dog knows info is out there, but he cannot get it. Like us looking for a gas station in a sketchy neighborhood with ZERO bars on our phone. MORE INFO HERE.