Basset Nose Butter® for Your Basset Hound's Hard-Working Nose
Shut your eyes and think BASSET HOUND. What popped into your mind? Did you picture a Basset trailing a scent, nose to the ground with those long ears wafting the smells up to their nose? Sure you did!
Your Basset's Super Nose
Your Basset's nose may be a bit dry or extremely rough and dry. Nasal Hyperkeratosis is a condition in which your Basset's nose is covered in layers of scabby skin (more info below and HERE). No worries, Basset Hound Nose Butter® works on all dry dog nose problems.
Your Basset may never run with 40 other Bassets baying at decibel 100 as they chase woodland creatures, but centuries of trailing smells IS hard-wired into his genetics.
The Basset was specifically bred to lock in on a smell and follow it without hesitation. Their long ears literally flopped, waved and funneled the smells up from the earth into their noses. Their short, stocky legs kept them at perfect sniffing height...almost ground level.
A Dry Nose Affects Your Basset's Mojo
A rough, dry nose keeps your Basset from gathering up the smells, leaving him uncertain and off-balance. The moistness acts like canine scent gathering flypaper, so if your Basset’s nose is dry and can't grab smells, he will continually lick his nose in a futile attempt to regain the smell catching moisture. That makes it worse, like when we lick chapped lips (you licked your lips, didn’t you?).
Think of it as driving through an unfamiliar area and having NO SERVICE on your cell phone. You would probably be nervous, stressed or terrified. That's how your Basset feels with a less than stellar sniffer…off-balanced, low-key stressed.
The moisturizers in Basset Hound nourish the dry tissue of your dog’s nose. After a few days of Nose Butter your Basset will look and feel better physically, plus, that legendary Basset joie de vivre will return. Your Basset's smelling mojo will be back!
Basset Nose Butter Product Info
- Individually handcrafted, mixed and poured here at The Blissful Dog in far northern Minnesota
- All natural and organic ingredients used: Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, cocoa seed butter, avocado oil, beeswax + scented version essential oils; cedar wood, cypress and ylang ylang
- Available in .15 oz (lip balm size) or .50 oz tubes and 1, 2, 4, 8 or 16 oz tins
- Unscented or Lightly Scented
- Includes complete directions booklet
- Basset on the label
How To Best Use Nose Butter®
HOW TO APPLY NOSE BUTTER
- For ease of application and faster absorption put tin or tube in your pocket for a few minutes to warm it
- TIN Scoop a bit out with finger or spoon and warm in your palm before application for faster absorption
- DAB on dog's nose
- DISTRACT to keep them from licking it off (give treat, feed dinner, go for walk)
- REPEAT 2-3x daily for 1-3 days or until there is improvement
- Use as needed for maintenance (usually 1-2x a week)
- Products have no active ingredients and will not harm your dog if they lick some off. But we do want the product to get it's work done, so see distract tips
- Complete tips, hints & directions brochure is included with every order
FYI: Our balms have a very thick, stiff consistency, because your dog's nose is very thick skin tissue. If it were a fluffy cream, it would not work.
Distraction Tips - Look Squirrel!
- Like pulling off a bandaid - Apply FAST
- Give treats before, during and after application, if needed
- Peanut butter on a wooden spoon is a great trick
- Feed their dinner after application
- Play your dog's fave game
- Throw a ball or go for a walk
- Pets and cuddles are always good
Keeping Expectations Real
Every so often a customer tells us their dog doesn’t “like” the Nose Butter, etc. Some dogs just do not like being controlled, messed with, having their faces touched or anything done to them. We get it! Sometimes our dogs do NOT want to be messed with, restrained or have their faces touched. They will flip, fight, twist and turn and some of the dogs have the audacity to wipe the product off on the sofa or their owner's leg!
Your dog may not “like” having Nose Butter applied. They may not like going to the vet or getting their toenails trimmed. Just like most of us don't like going to the dentist, but we go. Sometimes we have to do something for our dog's well-being…cutting toenails, giving meds, cleaning ears, going to the vet, or applying Nose Butter, etc. If your dog struggles, make the process FASTER and reward lavishly. This may be one of those situations in which you have to be firm with your dog, again, for the greater good.
As you have read (over and over) Nose Butter® is the same recipe, the breed labels are just for fun. Of course, some dog breeds are more unusual than others and some are beloved by almost everybody. As that kid who was inevitably picked last for every sports team, I will NOT say a dog breed is more popular than another. That's just wrong.
Reviews for the Just A Nose label are also shown under the more unusual breeds, new breeds or new configurations of existing listings. That way you get to read reviews on every page of Nose Butter without have to go 2 or 3 clicks deep. Nobody wants to do all that extra clicking...ugh.
Application Tips for Wiggly, Uncooperative, Licking Dogs
How to Apply Nose, Paw, Elbow and Boo Boo Butter To Wiggly, Uncooperative, Licking, Twisting, Flipping Dogs
We feel your pain. Some of us have dogs that are less than cooperative when it comes to anything being done to them. It is not that they don't like the products themselves, they just don't want anything done to them. Period. For those dogs here are a few tips and tricks, but may we remind you...you are the person and sometimes we have to do what is for our dog's own good…like going to the vet, having toenails cut and maybe having Nose Butter put on their nose.
- Let your dog lick peanut butter off spoon while you apply
- Try strong smelling treats - goat cheese, tuna, fishy treats
- Tag team! One give treats or pet while the other applies
- Go for a walk, throw a ball
- Dab on while they sleep - sneaky!
- Be FAST! Dab! Distract! Done!
Additional Tips for Flat-Faced Dogs, Lickers and Carpet Rubbers
Flat-faced dogs often resist application, as their breathing is already compromised. Apply as quickly as possible and don’t hold your flat-faced dog tightly, as this often makes them struggle more. This goes for Toy Dogs also, they know they're small and don't want to held tightly for fear of being hurt.
DISTRACTION - BE TENACIOUS
First be sure you are warming the product to the point of melted before application. It will soak in much faster if almost there when you apply.
Distracting dogs that are determined to lick the product off (or rub it off on furniture) may take some tenacity on your part. Treats, walks, throwing a ball or just petting them may work. Think of anything your dog loves and use that on them for the ten minutes or so needed. Stick to it...it’s for your dog’s well-being.
Nose Butter® All Natural Ingredients
NOSE BUTTER® is individually handcrafted, mixed and poured one-by-one by The Blissful Dog team here in far northern Minnesota using the following all natural and organic good stuff.
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Seed Butter
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Castor Oil
- Olive Oil
- Scented Formulation: Cedarwood, Cypress and Ylang Ylang Essential Oils
- Or Unscented.
- More info on ingredients here.
Choosing Which Nose Butter® Is Best For Your Dog
WHICH NOSE BUTTER DOES YOUR DOG NEED?
NOSE BUTTER is the same formulation for all the dog breeds, whether it is in tins or tubes and with any label. The breed labels allow you to customize your NOSE BUTTER with your dog's breed on the label (like a breed mug or tshirt). Don’t see your breed? Check out JUST A NOSE (label has uh, Just A Nose) and MIXED Breed Dog labels.
WHY SO MANY SIZES OF TINS & TUBES?
Dogs come in all sizes, so we offer a variety of sizes of tins and tubes.
WHICH IS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR DOG - NOSE BUTTER IN TINS OR TUBES?
- NOSE BUTTER® is same formula/recipe/magic stuff in tins and tubes
- TINS - better value per ounce
- TINS - great for hands-on application
- TUBES - ez to use - dab and done
- TUBES - no mess
- TUBES - great for travel
- FYI: Tube is like a chapstick, glue stick or deodorant tube NOT a toothpaste tube
- Toy dogs - lip balm sized tubes are great for tiny noses
- Larger size better value per ounce
- Larger sizes save on postage (especially internationally)
- Older dogs need more frequent applications
- Some individual dogs need more frequent applications
- Shelf life is 3 years (or longer) when stored in dry, cool conditions
Nasal Hyperkeratosis Info - Extremely Dry Dog Noses
NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS AKA CRUSTY CRUD, BARNACLE NOSE
Is your dog’s nose EXTREMELY dry? Does it look like barnacles are growing on it? Are there layers or chunks of crust that crack and bleed? If your dog’s nose looks like the BEFORE noses in the image above, it may be Nasal Hyperkeratosis. Rest assured, it is not caused by diet, genetics, playing in the dirt or anything you can control. And the good news is Nose Butter® works on it!
Nasodigital or Nasal Hyperkeratosis is an idiopathic condition, which means unknown cause ¯\(°_o)/¯ that causes excessive formulation of dry crust that vets call keratin, (vet-speak for protein). It actually IS layers of skin tissue that has grown wild over on the nose.
This condition isn't life-threatening and most veterinarians consider Nasal Hyperkeratosis cosmetic. But there are medical, cosmetic and mental health reasons that this dry nose condition can affect your dog's well being. It has to be uncomfortable for your dog. Your dog cannot breathe as easily. It’s unattractive, of course.
Most importantly, your dog is not getting the scents and smells they need to feel secure and confident. A healthy nose snags good smells that float by and provides your dog with info. A dry nose is not going to capture the info packed smells. This can lead to frustration and a lack of self confidence.
You know you feel when have NO SERVICE as you drive in an unfamiliar area? Probably frustrated, anxious and maybe terrified. Your dog experiences those same emotions when they can't get the info they need to make good dog decisions.
- Reviews (12)
So far the dry nose is starting to flake off-looking much better!
So far the dry nose is starting to flake off-looking much better!
This stuff is great!:)
My senior basset is allergic to the sun and has lupus which causes his nose to ***** and bleed horrifically. Although the nose butter can't cure this, it has brought him MUCH relief and I'm sure has added years to his otherwise healthy life❤️
BASSET HOUND NOSE BUTTER REVIEW
We received our NOSE BUTTER yesterday, thank you! I put it on my basset's nose and it looks better already. Thank you for the extra tube of NOSE BUTTER. I will definitely be telling my friends about your product and the wonderful customer service. Thanks again! Jo H.
Basset Hound NOSE BUTTER Great So Far!
Thanks for a pleasant transaction!