BASSET HOUND NOSE BUTTER® FOR YOUR DOG'S NOSE CARE
Shut your eyes and think BASSET HOUNDS. What popped into your mind? Did you picture a Basset trailing a scent, nose to the ground with those long ears wafting the smells up to their nose? Obviously, having a nose in tip top condition is a BIG DEAL to your Basset hound.
Your Basset may have a bit of a rough, dry nose or a more extreme version. If their nose is covered by layers of hard skin, almost a crust, it could be a condition called Nasal Hyperkeratosis (more info in tabs below and HERE). No worries, Basset Hound NOSE BUTTER® works on all levels of dry dog nose problems.
YOUR BASSET HOUND HAS CENTURIES OF DNA TELLING HIM TO SNIFF!
Your Basset Hound may never run with 40 other Bassets baying at decibel 100 as they chase woodland creatures, but centuries of trailing smells IS hard-wired into his genetics.
The Basset Hound was specifically bred to lock in on a smell and follow it without hesitation. Their long ears literally waved and funneled the smells up from the earth into their noses. Their short, stocky legs kept them at perfect sniffing height...almost ground level.
WHY HAVING A MOIST, HEALTHY NOSE IS A GREAT BIG DEAL TO YOUR BASSET HOUND
A rough, dry nose keeps your Basset from gathering up the smells, leaving him uncertain and off-balance. Nature tells dogs, especially the scenthounds, to keep their nose moist and pliable, as the moistness acts like a scent gathering flypaper for dogs. So, if your Basset’s nose is dry and unable to grab the smells, he will lick and lick his nose in a futile attempt to regain the smell catching moisture. Of course, that just makes it worse, like us licking chapped lips (you licked your lips, didn’t you?).
Think of it as driving through an unfamiliar area and having one bar on your cell phone. You would probably be nervous, a little apprehensive. That is how your Basset Hound feels ALL THE TIME when he is not getting his smelly info.
The moisturizers in BASSET HOUND NOSE BUTTER® nourish the dry tissue of your dog’s nose. After a few days of NOSE BUTTER® your Basset will look and feel better physically, plus, that legendary Basset joie de vivre will return. Your Basset's smelling mojo will be back!
BASSET HOUND NOSE BUTTER® IS AVAILABLE IN SEVERAL SIZES OF TINS AND TUBES: TINS: 1, 2, 4, 8 & 16 OZ | TUBES: .15 (Lip Balm Size) & .50 OZ
VISIT BASSET COLLECTION WITH COMBO KITS, AROMATHERAPY+ SHOP HERE
INGREDIENTS + INFO ON CHOOSING & USING NOSE BUTTER®
USING NOSE BUTTER®
HOW TO APPLY NOSE BUTTER
- Complete tips, hints & directions brochure is included with every order
- TIN Scoop a bit out with finger or spoon
- TUBE Point away from dog's eyes
- DAB on dog's nose
- DISTRACT to keep them from licking it off (give treat, feed dinner, go for walk)
- REPEAT 2-3x daily for 1-3 days or until nose improves
- THEN USE AS NEEDED for maintenance (1-2x a week)
- TIP: Use a spoon to scoop a bit out of tin and warm in your palm before application, if needed
- TIP: Many dogs do not like being controlled tightly and will try to get away, apply FAST
- TIP: Flat faced dogs especially don't like having their faces messed with, dab and go. Bribe liberally!
- TIP: Treats BEFORE, DURING & AFTER really works!
- MORE TIPS HERE
NOSE BUTTER® INGREDIENTS
NOSE BUTTER® is individually handcrafted here in far northern Minnesota by our dog obsessed team using the following all natural and organic good stuff.
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Seed Butter
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Castor Oil
- Olive Oil
- Scented Formulation: Cedarwood, Cypress and Ylang Ylang Essential Oils
- Or Unscented.
- More info on ingredients here.
CHOOSING NOSE BUTTER®
WHICH NOSE BUTTER DOES YOUR DOG NEED?
NOSE BUTTER is the same formulation for all the dog breeds. The breed labels celebrate the incredible diversity among dog breeds and the people who love them. Don’t see your breed? Check out JUST A NOSE (label has uh, Just A Nose) and MIXED Breed Dog labels. Dogs come in all sizes, so we offer a variety of sizes of tins and tubes.
WHICH IS BEST FOR YOUR AND YOUR DOG - TINS OR TUBES?
- NOSE BUTTER® is same formula in tins and tubes, difference is only the container
- TINS - better value per ounce
- Screw top tin - better for hot climates
- Slider top - better for those with grip issues
- TUBES - ez to use
- Tubes - no mess
- Tubes - great for travel
- FYI: Tube is like a chapstick, glue stick or deodorant tube NOT a toothpaste tube
- Toy dogs - lip balm sized tubes for tiny noses
- Larger size better value per ounce
- Larger sizes save on postage
- Older dogs need more frequent applications
- Some individual dogs need more frequent applications
- Shelf life is 3 years when stored in dry, cool conditions
NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS INFO
NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS AKA CRUSTY CRUD, BARNACLE NOSE
Is your dog’s nose EXTREMELY dry? Does it look like barnacles are growing on it? Are there layers or chunks of crust that crack and bleed? If your dog’s nose could be described as extremely dry, or looks like the BEFORE noses in the image above, it may be Nasal Hyperkeratosis. Rest assured, it is not caused by diet, genetics, playing in the dirt or anything you can control.
Nasodigital or Nasal Hyperkeratosis is an idiopathic condition, which means unknown cause ¯\(°_o)/¯ that is marked by the excessive formulation of nose crust that vets call keratin, (vet-speak for protein). It actually IS layers of skin tissue that has grown wild over on the nose. This condition isn't life-threatening and most veterinarians consider Nasal Hyperkeratosis cosmetic. But there are medical, cosmetic and mental health reasons that this dry nose condition can affect your dog's well being. It has to be uncomfortable for your dog. Your dog cannot breathe as easily. It’s unattractive, of course.
Most importantly, your dog is not getting the scents and smells they ned to feel secure and confident. A healthy moist nose snags good smells that float by and provide your dog with info. A dry nose is not going to capture the info packed smells. This can lead to frustration and a lack of self confidence. Your dog knows info is out there, but he cannot get it. Like us looking for a gas station in a sketchy neighborhood with ZERO bars on our phone. MORE INFO HERE.