Australian Shepherd Nose Butter® For Your Aussie's Dry Nose
The Australian Shepherd is a hard-working, hard-playing dog. Smart, good looking and oh-so loving. No wonder they are such popular companions and working dogs.
FUN AUSSIE FACTOID: Aussies are one of the few breeds that originated in the USA. The Australian Shepherd was bred by French sheepherders from the Spanish Alps to herd Australian sheep brought to the US during the California Gold Rush.
Your Aussie's Dry Nose
Like many of the herding type dogs, the Aussie has a predisposition toward having a dry or crusty nose. This dryness can range from a bit of dryness around their nostrils to the more extreme form of canine nose dryness, Nasal Hyperkeratosis.
Nasal Hyperkeratosis causes your Aussie's nose to create an overgrowth of dry, crusty, even scaly tissue across the top of the nose. In Aussies it is usually seen as a ridge where the nose meets the rest of the face, not the layers we see in flat-faced dogs.
Australian Shepherd Nose Butter® moisturizes and softens the dryness away quickly (usually 2-3 days), then regular maintenance usage keeps your Aussie's nose looking good and feeling good.
Your Australian Shepherd's Healthy Nose
A dry, cracked nose doesn't catch and capture all the good info that dogs need to make decisions and feel confident. Not only does a dry nose interfere with their sniffing ability, it can also lead to a feeling of being unsettled. Your Aussie knows there is so much info wafting by on the breezes and he is unable to get that dog news if his nose is dry. Like how we feel when we can't get cell phone service. This can lead to an undercurrent of stress and anxiety all day, every day for your dog!
Nose Butter® smooths and nourishes your Aussie's nose, helping them look and feel better on all levels - physically, mentally and emotionally. Not only does he look much better with a smooth, shiny nose, he feels better physically, as he can breathe much more easily. Your Aussie will feel more confident and self-assured when he's getting his dog info.
Australian Shepherd Nose Butter Product Info
- Individually handcrafted by The Blissful Dog in far northern Minnesota
- All natural and organic ingredients used; Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, cocoa seed butter, avocado oil, beeswax + scented version essential oils; cedar wood, cypress and ylang ylang
- Available in .15 oz (lip balm size) or .50 oz tubes and 1, 2, 4, 8 or 16 oz tins
- Includes complete directions booklet
- Australian Cattle Dog Duo label
SHOP Everything Blissful For Your Aussie: Combo Kits, Aromatherapy, Shampoo+
How To Best Use Nose Butter® Info & Video
HOW TO APPLY NOSE BUTTER
- For ease of application and faster absorption put tin or tube in your pocket for a few minutes to warm it
- TIN Scoop a bit out with finger or spoon and warm in your palm before application for faster absorption
- DAB on dog's nose
- DISTRACT to keep them from licking it off (give treat, feed dinner, go for walk)
- REPEAT 2-3x daily for 1-3 days or until there is improvement
- Use as needed for maintenance (usually 1-2x a week)
- Products have no active ingredients and will not harm your dog if they lick some off. But we do want the product to get it's work done, so see distract tips
- Complete tips, hints & directions brochure is included with every order
FYI: Our balms have a very thick, stiff consistency, because your dog's nose is very thick skin tissue. If it were a fluffy cream, it would not work.
Distraction Tips - Look Squirrel!
- Like pulling off a bandaid - Apply FAST
- Give treats before, during and after application, if needed
- Peanut butter on a wooden spoon is a great trick
- Feed their dinner after application
- Play your dog's fave game
- Throw a ball or go for a walk
- Pets and cuddles are always good
Keeping Expectations Real
Every so often a customer tells us their dog doesn’t “like” the Nose Butter, etc. Some dogs just do not like being controlled, messed with, having their faces touched or anything done to them. We get it! Sometimes our dogs do NOT want to be messed with, restrained or have their faces touched. They will flip, fight, twist and turn and some of the dogs have the audacity to wipe the product off on the sofa or their owner's leg!
Your dog may not “like” having Nose Butter applied. They may not like going to the vet or getting their toenails trimmed. Just like most of us don't like going to the dentist, but we go. Sometimes we have to do something for our dog's well-being…cutting toenails, giving meds, cleaning ears, going to the vet, or applying Nose Butter, etc. If your dog struggles, make the process FASTER and reward lavishly. This may be one of those situations in which you have to be firm with your dog, again, for the greater good.
Application Tips for Wiggly, Uncooperative, Licking Dogs
How to Apply Nose, Paw, Elbow and Boo Boo Butter To Wiggly, Uncooperative, Licking, Twisting, Flipping Dogs
We feel your pain. Some of us have dogs that are less than cooperative when it comes to anything being done to them. It is not that they don't like the products themselves, they just don't want anything done to them. Period. For those dogs here are a few tips and tricks, but may we remind you...you are the person and sometimes we have to do what is for our dog's own good…like going to the vet, having toenails cut and maybe having Nose Butter put on their nose.
- Let your dog lick peanut butter off spoon while you apply
- Try strong smelling treats - goat cheese, tuna, fishy treats
- Tag team! One give treats or pet while the other applies
- Go for a walk, throw a ball
- Dab on while they sleep - sneaky!
- Be FAST! Dab! Distract! Done!
Additional Tips for Flat-Faced Dogs, Lickers and Carpet Rubbers
Flat-faced dogs often resist application, as their breathing is already compromised. Apply as quickly as possible and don’t hold your flat-faced dog tightly, as this often makes them struggle more. This goes for Toy Dogs also, they know they're small and don't want to held tightly for fear of being hurt.
DISTRACTION - BE TENACIOUS
First be sure you are warming the product to the point of melted before application. It will soak in much faster if almost there when you apply.
Distracting dogs that are determined to lick the product off (or rub it off on furniture) may take some tenacity on your part. Treats, walks, throwing a ball or just petting them may work. Think of anything your dog loves and use that on them for the ten minutes or so needed. Stick to it...it’s for your dog’s well-being.
Nose Butter® All Natural Ingredients
NOSE BUTTER® is individually handcrafted, mixed and poured one-by-one by The Blissful Dog team here in far northern Minnesota using the following all natural and organic good stuff.
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Seed Butter
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Castor Oil
- Olive Oil
- Scented Formulation: Cedarwood, Cypress and Ylang Ylang Essential Oils
- Or Unscented.
- More info on ingredients here.
Choosing Which Nose Butter® Is Best For Your Dog
WHICH NOSE BUTTER DOES YOUR DOG NEED?
NOSE BUTTER is the same formulation for all the dog breeds, whether it is in tins or tubes and with any label. The breed labels allow you to customize your NOSE BUTTER with your dog's breed on the label (like a breed mug or tshirt). Don’t see your breed? Check out JUST A NOSE (label has uh, Just A Nose) and MIXED Breed Dog labels.
WHY SO MANY SIZES OF TINS & TUBES?
Dogs come in all sizes, so we offer a variety of sizes of tins and tubes.
WHICH IS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR DOG - NOSE BUTTER IN TINS OR TUBES?
- NOSE BUTTER® is same formula/recipe/magic stuff in tins and tubes
- TINS - better value per ounce
- TINS - great for hands-on application
- TUBES - ez to use - dab and done
- TUBES - no mess
- TUBES - great for travel
- FYI: Tube is like a chapstick, glue stick or deodorant tube NOT a toothpaste tube
- Toy dogs - lip balm sized tubes are great for tiny noses
- Larger size better value per ounce
- Larger sizes save on postage (especially internationally)
- Older dogs need more frequent applications
- Some individual dogs need more frequent applications
- Shelf life is 3 years (or longer) when stored in dry, cool conditions
Nasal Hyperkeratosis Info - Extremely Dry Dog Noses
NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS AKA CRUSTY CRUD, BARNACLE NOSE
Is your dog’s nose EXTREMELY dry? Does it look like barnacles are growing on it? Are there layers or chunks of crust that crack and bleed? If your dog’s nose looks like the BEFORE noses in the image above, it may be Nasal Hyperkeratosis. Rest assured, it is not caused by diet, genetics, playing in the dirt or anything you can control. And the good news is Nose Butter® works on it!
Nasodigital or Nasal Hyperkeratosis is an idiopathic condition, which means unknown cause ¯\(°_o)/¯ that causes excessive formulation of dry crust that vets call keratin, (vet-speak for protein). It actually IS layers of skin tissue that has grown wild over on the nose.
This condition isn't life-threatening and most veterinarians consider Nasal Hyperkeratosis cosmetic. But there are medical, cosmetic and mental health reasons that this dry nose condition can affect your dog's well being. It has to be uncomfortable for your dog. Your dog cannot breathe as easily. It’s unattractive, of course.
Most importantly, your dog is not getting the scents and smells they need to feel secure and confident. A healthy nose snags good smells that float by and provides your dog with info. A dry nose is not going to capture the info packed smells. This can lead to frustration and a lack of self confidence.
You know you feel when have NO SERVICE as you drive in an unfamiliar area? Probably frustrated, anxious and maybe terrified. Your dog experiences those same emotions when they can't get the info they need to make good dog decisions.
- Reviews (20)
- Questions (0)
It works great!
Its a good product. In a few days the dryness and little clusters started to go away. However, when she starts to get better, I decrease her application and now seems like coming back. I guess I have to be persistent with twice daily applications.
Worked really well to soften my dog's nose!
Fantastic product, would definitely recommend it.
I love this stuff.
This nose balm works great! One of my Aussies has a really dry nose. Nothing wrong with him but his nose looks like it hurts. Within a week of putting this balm on his nose is soft and I feel much better. (He doesn’t seem to care either way). I have even used it on my lips! This is my second purchase and i’ll Be keeping this around!
The Blissful Dog Inc.
What great news! I know your Aussie is every bit as thrilled as we are. Thank you so much for sharing with us! -Kathy
Worked very well
The Blissful Dog Inc.
Thank you so much for leaving us the great review! We love hearing how well our products work for your dog! - Kathy
We have a mini Aussie who has an allergy to the sun. Makes her nose very dry. Does this have sunscreen in it If not do you have a product that does