AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER NOSE BUTTER® FOR DRY, CRUSTY NOSES
The American Staffordshire Terrier is a strong, smart and sadly, often misunderstood breed. Often confused with their smaller cousins, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the Am Staff (as they are often called) is their own unique breed.
Like many of their bully cousins, the American Staffordshire Terrier often has a tendency toward dry nose issues. Your American Staffordshire Terrier may have a dry nose with some crustiness or it may be a more extreme version. If your dog's nose has layer upon layer of crust (growing like those shelf-looking mushrooms) or chunks of scab-like tissue, it may be Nasal Hyperkeratosis (more info on that condition HERE). No matter how dry your Am Staff's nose is NOSE BUTTER® is the answer.
A MOIST NOSE IS A BIG DEAL TO YOUR AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
While your Am Staff may not chase birds for a living, or track escaped convicts or trail lost campers in the woods, his sniffing prowess still puts yours to shame! You know our dogs get so much info by sniffing and smelling, but did you know it is more than they receive from their vision? Your dog’s nose is a fine-tuned sniffing SUPER POWER!
Actually, your dog's ancestors WERE used to chase wild boar down and control bulls. A certain amount of sniffing power was needed to find and corner both the wild boars and bulls.
Ok, let’s stop and think about THAT…they chased down and cornered WILD BOARS. Have you ever seen wild boars on Discovery Channel? Those tusks, that killer ferocity, yikes! And subdue BULLS…BULLS! Let’s give your dog's ancestors a moment of well deserved respect. Ok, moment over, back to noses.
Having a moist nose is what allows your dog to attract the smells that are floating by and then process the info. This gives him all the tools he needs to guard and protect your family. Hey, his DNA has been hardwired for hundreds of years to be on alert and guard life, limb and property of his family. If he cannot get the scent info he needs, he may become anxious, less confident and edgy. Plus, you never know when a wild boar or bull will need to be captured and subdued.
NOSE BUTTER® moisturizes your Am Staff’s dry nose and gives him back his smell gathering mojo. This makes for a happy, healthy, more confident American Staffordshire Terrier.
TINS SIZE OPTIONS: 1, 2, 4, 8 & 16 OZ | TUBE SIZE OPTIONS: .15 (Lip Balm Size), .50 & 2 OZ
INGREDIENTS + INFO ON CHOOSING & USING NOSE BUTTER®
USING NOSE BUTTER®
HOW TO APPLY NOSE BUTTER
- Complete tips, hints & directions brochure is included with every order
- TIN Scoop a bit out with finger or spoon
- TUBE Point away from dog's eyes
- DAB on dog's nose
- DISTRACT to keep them from licking it off (give treat, feed dinner, go for walk)
- REPEAT 2-3x daily for 1-3 days or until nose improves
- THEN USE AS NEEDED for maintenance (1-2x a week)
- TIP: Use a spoon to scoop a bit out of tin and warm in your palm before application, if needed
- TIP: Many dogs do not like being controlled tightly and will try to get away, apply FAST
- TIP: Flat faced dogs especially don't like having their faces messed with, dab and go. Bribe liberally!
- TIP: Treats BEFORE, DURING & AFTER really works!
- MORE TIPS HERE
NOSE BUTTER® INGREDIENTS
NOSE BUTTER® is individually handcrafted here in far northern Minnesota by our dog obsessed team using the following all natural and organic good stuff.
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Seed Butter
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Castor Oil
- Olive Oil
- Scented Formulation: Cedarwood, Cypress and Ylang Ylang Essential Oils
- Or Unscented.
- More info on ingredients here.
CHOOSING NOSE BUTTER®
WHICH NOSE BUTTER DOES YOUR DOG NEED?
NOSE BUTTER is the same formulation for all the dog breeds. The breed labels celebrate the incredible diversity among dog breeds and the people who love them. Don’t see your breed? Check out JUST A NOSE (label has uh, Just A Nose) and MIXED Breed Dog labels. Dogs come in all sizes, so we offer a variety of sizes of tins and tubes.
WHICH IS BEST FOR YOUR AND YOUR DOG - TINS OR TUBES?
- NOSE BUTTER® is same formula in tins and tubes, difference is only the container
- TINS - better value per ounce
- Screw top tin - better for hot climates
- Slider top - better for those with grip issues
- TUBES - ez to use
- Tubes - no mess
- Tubes - great for travel
- FYI: Tube is like a chapstick, glue stick or deodorant tube NOT a toothpaste tube
- Toy dogs - lip balm sized tubes for tiny noses
- Larger size better value per ounce
- Larger sizes save on postage
- Older dogs need more frequent applications
- Some individual dogs need more frequent applications
- Shelf life is 3 years when stored in dry, cool conditions
NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS INFO
NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS AKA CRUSTY CRUD, BARNACLE NOSE
Is your dog’s nose EXTREMELY dry? Does it look like barnacles are growing on it? Are there layers or chunks of crust that crack and bleed? If your dog’s nose could be described as extremely dry, or looks like the BEFORE noses in the image above, it may be Nasal Hyperkeratosis. Rest assured, it is not caused by diet, genetics, playing in the dirt or anything you can control.
Nasodigital or Nasal Hyperkeratosis is an idiopathic condition, which means unknown cause ¯\(°_o)/¯ that is marked by the excessive formulation of nose crust that vets call keratin, (vet-speak for protein). It actually IS layers of skin tissue that has grown wild over on the nose. This condition isn't life-threatening and most veterinarians consider Nasal Hyperkeratosis cosmetic. But there are medical, cosmetic and mental health reasons that this dry nose condition can affect your dog's well being. It has to be uncomfortable for your dog. Your dog cannot breathe as easily. It’s unattractive, of course.
Most importantly, your dog is not getting the scents and smells they ned to feel secure and confident. A healthy moist nose snags good smells that float by and provide your dog with info. A dry nose is not going to capture the info packed smells. This can lead to frustration and a lack of self confidence. Your dog knows info is out there, but he cannot get it. Like us looking for a gas station in a sketchy neighborhood with ZERO bars on our phone. MORE INFO HERE.