Does Your Pug Have a Dry or Even Crusty Nose?
Pug Nose Butter® moisturizes and soothes your Pug's nose…from a little dry to extreme nasal hyperkeratosis
Pugs & Nasal Hyperkeratosis
Many Pugs have a predisposition toward dry or even crusty noses, as do most of the flat-faced dog breeds. If your Pug's nose is covered with crusty layers of overgrown, barnacle looking crud, it may be a condition called Nasal Hyperkeratosis (see Before & After pics in video).
Nasal Hyperkeratosis occurs when nose tissue is triggered and grows rampantly, forming layers of crusty skin. It's tempting to pick it, but don't, as it is living tissue and will bleed and hurt your Pug. While not life-threatening, there are several medical, cosmetic and mental health reasons this dry nose condition can affect your dog's well being.
Healthy Nose = Happy Pug
While your Pug may NEVER need to sniff out the trail of lost hikers, his sense of smell is still incredibly important to him. If your Pug’s nose is dry, he will lick and lick as he tries to moisten it to get info. Like when we are driving in an unfamiliar area and NO SERVICE pops up on our phone. It frustrating, annoying and can be scary to not be able to access info. Your Pug feels the same way knowing there are good smells that he can't sniff with a dry, crusty nose.
Nose Butter® moistens your Pug’s nose and gets rid of that dry, crusty crud. FYI: Pug Nose Butter has a very heavy, dense texture, if it were fluffy, it would not be able to penetrate your Pug's thick, dry nose tissue.
Pug Nose Butter Info
- Individually handcrafted by The Blissful Dog in far northern Minnesota
- All natural and organic ingredients
- Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, cocoa seed butter, avocado oil, beeswax + scented version essential oils; cedar wood, cypress and ylang ylang
- In .15 oz (lip balm sized) or .50 oz tubes and 1, 2, 4, 8 or 16 oz tins
- Unscented or Lightly Scented Options
- Your choice of three labels for pugs; Fawn, Black or Pug Duo
Tips for Using Pug Nose Butter
- Scoop a bit of Nose Butter out of the tin and warm it in your palm for faster absorption.
- Dab quickly onto your Pug's nose
- Distract to keep them from licking it off (treat, walk, cuddle)
- Use 2-3x a day for 2-3 days, if crust rubs off easily go to maintenance schedule
- If not, keep applying lotion for a dry dog nose multiple times daily until it does
- Use as needed for maintenance
PUG ALERT! If your Pug doesn't like being held tightly check out the tips below. Doing something to a Pug they don't want done is like putting pantyhose on a drunk man. Not that I ever put pantyhose on a drunk man…
How To Best Use Nose Butter® Info & Video
HOW TO APPLY NOSE BUTTER
- For ease of application and faster absorption put tin or tube in your pocket for a few minutes to warm it
- TIN Scoop a bit out with finger or spoon and warm in your palm before application for faster absorption
- DAB on dog's nose
- DISTRACT to keep them from licking it off (give treat, feed dinner, go for walk)
- REPEAT 2-3x daily for 1-3 days or until there is improvement
- Use as needed for maintenance (usually 1-2x a week)
- Products have no active ingredients and will not harm your dog if they lick some off. But we do want the product to get it's work done, so see distract tips
- Complete tips, hints & directions brochure is included with every order
FYI: Our balms have a very thick, stiff consistency, because your dog's nose is very thick skin tissue. If it were a fluffy cream, it would not work.
Distraction Tips - Look Squirrel!
- Like pulling off a bandaid - Apply FAST
- Give treats before, during and after application, if needed
- Peanut butter on a wooden spoon is a great trick
- Feed their dinner after application
- Play your dog's fave game
- Throw a ball or go for a walk
- Pets and cuddles are always good
Keeping Expectations Real
Every so often a customer tells us their dog doesn’t “like” the Nose Butter, etc. Some dogs just do not like being controlled, messed with, having their faces touched or anything done to them. We get it! Sometimes our dogs do NOT want to be messed with, restrained or have their faces touched. They will flip, fight, twist and turn and some of the dogs have the audacity to wipe the product off on the sofa or their owner's leg!
Your dog may not “like” having Nose Butter applied. They may not like going to the vet or getting their toenails trimmed. Just like most of us don't like going to the dentist, but we go. Sometimes we have to do something for our dog's well-being…cutting toenails, giving meds, cleaning ears, going to the vet, or applying Nose Butter, etc. If your dog struggles, make the process FASTER and reward lavishly. This may be one of those situations in which you have to be firm with your dog, again, for the greater good.
Application Tips for Wiggly, Uncooperative, Licking Dogs
How to Apply Nose, Paw, Elbow and Boo Boo Butter To Wiggly, Uncooperative, Licking, Twisting, Flipping Dogs
We feel your pain. Some of us have dogs that are less than cooperative when it comes to anything being done to them. It is not that they don't like the products themselves, they just don't want anything done to them. Period. For those dogs here are a few tips and tricks, but may we remind you...you are the person and sometimes we have to do what is for our dog's own good…like going to the vet, having toenails cut and maybe having Nose Butter put on their nose.
- Let your dog lick peanut butter off spoon while you apply
- Try strong smelling treats - goat cheese, tuna, fishy treats
- Tag team! One give treats or pet while the other applies
- Go for a walk, throw a ball
- Dab on while they sleep - sneaky!
- Be FAST! Dab! Distract! Done!
Additional Tips for Flat-Faced Dogs, Lickers and Carpet Rubbers
Flat-faced dogs often resist application, as their breathing is already compromised. Apply as quickly as possible and don’t hold your flat-faced dog tightly, as this often makes them struggle more. This goes for Toy Dogs also, they know they're small and don't want to held tightly for fear of being hurt.
DISTRACTION - BE TENACIOUS
First be sure you are warming the product to the point of melted before application. It will soak in much faster if almost there when you apply.
Distracting dogs that are determined to lick the product off (or rub it off on furniture) may take some tenacity on your part. Treats, walks, throwing a ball or just petting them may work. Think of anything your dog loves and use that on them for the ten minutes or so needed. Stick to it...it’s for your dog’s well-being.
Nose Butter® All Natural Ingredients
NOSE BUTTER® is individually handcrafted, mixed and poured one-by-one by The Blissful Dog team here in far northern Minnesota using the following all natural and organic good stuff.
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Seed Butter
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Castor Oil
- Olive Oil
- Scented Formulation: Cedarwood, Cypress and Ylang Ylang Essential Oils
- Or Unscented.
- More info on ingredients here.
Choosing Which Nose Butter® Is Best For Your Dog
WHICH NOSE BUTTER DOES YOUR DOG NEED?
NOSE BUTTER is the same formulation for all the dog breeds, whether it is in tins or tubes and with any label. The breed labels allow you to customize your NOSE BUTTER with your dog's breed on the label (like a breed mug or tshirt). Don’t see your breed? Check out JUST A NOSE (label has uh, Just A Nose) and MIXED Breed Dog labels.
WHY SO MANY SIZES OF TINS & TUBES?
Dogs come in all sizes, so we offer a variety of sizes of tins and tubes.
WHICH IS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR DOG - NOSE BUTTER IN TINS OR TUBES?
- NOSE BUTTER® is same formula/recipe/magic stuff in tins and tubes
- TINS - better value per ounce
- TINS - great for hands-on application
- TUBES - ez to use - dab and done
- TUBES - no mess
- TUBES - great for travel
- FYI: Tube is like a chapstick, glue stick or deodorant tube NOT a toothpaste tube
- Toy dogs - lip balm sized tubes are great for tiny noses
- Larger size better value per ounce
- Larger sizes save on postage (especially internationally)
- Older dogs need more frequent applications
- Some individual dogs need more frequent applications
- Shelf life is 3 years (or longer) when stored in dry, cool conditions
Nasal Hyperkeratosis Info - Extremely Dry Dog Noses
NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS AKA CRUSTY CRUD, BARNACLE NOSE
Is your dog’s nose EXTREMELY dry? Does it look like barnacles are growing on it? Are there layers or chunks of crust that crack and bleed? If your dog’s nose looks like the BEFORE noses in the image above, it may be Nasal Hyperkeratosis. Rest assured, it is not caused by diet, genetics, playing in the dirt or anything you can control. And the good news is Nose Butter® works on it!
Nasodigital or Nasal Hyperkeratosis is an idiopathic condition, which means unknown cause ¯\(°_o)/¯ that causes excessive formulation of dry crust that vets call keratin, (vet-speak for protein). It actually IS layers of skin tissue that has grown wild over on the nose.
This condition isn't life-threatening and most veterinarians consider Nasal Hyperkeratosis cosmetic. But there are medical, cosmetic and mental health reasons that this dry nose condition can affect your dog's well being. It has to be uncomfortable for your dog. Your dog cannot breathe as easily. It’s unattractive, of course.
Most importantly, your dog is not getting the scents and smells they need to feel secure and confident. A healthy nose snags good smells that float by and provides your dog with info. A dry nose is not going to capture the info packed smells. This can lead to frustration and a lack of self confidence.
You know you feel when have NO SERVICE as you drive in an unfamiliar area? Probably frustrated, anxious and maybe terrified. Your dog experiences those same emotions when they can't get the info they need to make good dog decisions.
After only two days of use, my pugs nose was healing. It’s been a week, no cracks, back to black and normal wet looking now, compared to the awful pale blistering cracks there once was! I’m amazed. Excellent product, thank you so so much! Below is before and after!
I bought this for my Pug rescue who had a horribly dry nose. The cracks were so bad on the end of her nose, I thought she may have had scarring because of it. In only 4 days, her nose looks like a baby puppy’s nose! I’d been using other things and nothing worked. This stuff is awesome! Before and after shots!
Got rid of the Dry Nose
It really helped our pug’s crusty/dry nose. It is easy to use and I love it!
It's working great on my dog's nose, she's really not a fan of having it put on her, but we get the job done. She's not licking it off!
The nose butter is working very well on my three pugs. I have noticed a huge difference in their noses!
I use the Nose Butter all the time, as I have four geriatrics brachycephalic dogs. Two of which I apply Nose Butter every other day. It works perfectly. The other two I use the Nose Butter occasionally. I love this product.
Made his nose soft and black. No more cracked dry nose and easy to use.
At first hesitated purchasing your Pug Nose Butter because I couldn’t see it in person. So glad I ordered the 3-pack! We often use a wood-burning stove to heat our house during the winter, making the air in our house dry even with a humidifier. My dogs noses were always dry. I used the nose butter two days in a row, twice each day and had four happy little noses. I was so impressed that I tried it on my lips and love it! Even though my dogs licked some of it off, it still worked! I use it twice a day on them. I will be ordering more!
it never fails when I need to use it on my black pug! I've been using it for a few years and Brunello even allows me to apply it generously, or however much is called for at the time of application!