• Free Shipping USA
• Free Priority over $50 USA
• Intl Price Varies
• Complete Shipping info here
The Blissful Dog
50534 235th Avenue
Clearbrook, MN 5663
Call us 1.855.DOG.BLISS
Your Chow may not be retrieving birds from a lake or tracking lost children, but he still needs to sniff out the scoop. The Chow has been hardwired for thousands of years to guard and protect the property of both hard-working farming families and nobility. Even now, his DNA tells him to be on alert and aware of what is going on, just in case he needs to call upon his guard dog roots.
If your Chow's nose is dry, it won't grab, collect, and process the smells needed for your dog to make quick, informed decisions. This can cause your Chow to be on edge, anxious or off-balance
The Chow or CHOW CHOW (official dog show name) is an imposing figure. The scowling expression, stilted gait, and bear-like look are part of the regal dog that is uniquely Chow. Like many other heavy-bodied dogs (no fat-shaming, they are supposed to be sturdy), the Chow has a tendency toward having dry or crusty, even cracked noses. If your Chow's nose is covered with a harder crusty, barnacle looking tissue, Nasal Hyperkeratosis may be the culprit (more info in tabs below). See the image below). The good news is Nose Butter works for all types of Chow nose issues FAST!
Dry dog noses range from a bit dry to the extremely dry nose condition known as nasal hyperkeratosis. A dry nose is not a severe, deadly condition, but it has to be uncomfortable for your dog AND it looks bad. Who wants to be asked, "What is wrong with your dog's nose?" at the dog park.
This dryness can be caused by a dry climate, low humidity, illness, medications, stress or breed disposition.
The extreme dry nose, Nasal Hyperkeratosis, is an idiopathic condition (medical speak for don't have a clue) that causes nose tissue to grow uncontrollably, covering the nose in layers of scabby, skin crust.
See the FAQs below for more exciting dry dog nose info. Well, exciting to you, me and your dog.
Since 2002 Nose Butter has been individually handcrafted by The Blissful Dog crew in far Northern Minnesota using all-natural ingredients that we can all pronounce!
• Shea butter
• Almond oil
• Olive oil
• Coconut oil
• Castor oil
• Cocoa seed butter
• Avocado oil
Bliss Bit!Nose Butter is a very thick, stiff consistency so it will work on the tough skin/tissue of your dog's dry nose.
Which is Best? Tin or Tube?
• Tubes allow for no-mess application
• Tins offer hands-on application
What Size Should I Get?
Nose Butter is available in five sizes of tins and three tube sizes. Why so many? Dogs come in all sizes from Chinese Cresteds to Tibetan Mastiffs, so choose accordingly.
Why So Many Dog Breed Labels?
Nose Butter® is the exact same product no matter the label. The dog breed labels celebrate canine diversity and our dog geekness.
Don’t see your breed? Every Dog Nose or 3 Cute Puppies are general labels.
#1 Tip - Warm product before application for faster absorption
• To warm; stick in your pocket, bra, or scoop some out & warm in palm
• Open the tin or tube
• Gently control your dog's face (jowls, side of face or under their chin)
• Don't use a head-lock - that is a big trigger
• Tag Team - have someone hold & you apply
• (Tin) Scoop a bit out appropriate to the size of your dog’s nose
• Dab it on their nose (doesn't have to be precise)
• You do not have to rub it in, it will melt quickly, especially if you warmed it up a bit
• Distract to keep them from licking or rubbing it off
• Repeat 2-3x a day for 1-3 days or until nose is back in shape
• Then use as needed for maintenance (usually 1-2x a week)
It's not rocket science, but there are tips that make application faster and easier for you and your dog.
• Give a cookie or treat before, during and after application
• Cuddles, pets, repeat as needed
• Feed their dinner (with extra yummies)
• Play your dog's fave game
• Throw a ball
• Go for a walk
• Pet them, lavish praise on them for their overall good dog-ness
• TIP! Not only does something positive (like cookies) take their mind off having something done to them, it also build an association between GOOD STUFF and Nose Butter application.
• Apply as in the previous tip
• After 2-3 days of multiple daily application (do the best you can, 2-3x a day is great), test the crusty stuff with a bit of tissue and see if it will crumbles off
• If it does NOT crumble right off (it will look like black, greasy dirt), keep applying Nose Butter 2-3x a day until it easily, without picking, comes off.
• Resist the urge to pick as tempting as it may be.
The crusty stuff is actually skin and hurts your dog if you pick it off, just like us pulling a scab off a skinned knee too soon.
The Bad News is there is no CURE for Nasal Hyperkeratosis, it is a condition.
If you stop using Nose Butter, the dryness and crust will probably come back.
The Good News is maintenance usage of Nose Butter keeps the Nasal Hyperkeratosis under control.
When our hands are really cracked and dry we can use lotion to get them in shape, but we can't slather lotion on our hands once and be moisturized for life.
Like cutting your dog's toenails...Nose Butter is part of their health care regimen.
Ouch! That stung! It's not that your dog dislikes Nose Butter (we hope not), they DO dislike being held tightly and restrained.
Bully and flat-faced breeds already have compromised breathing systems due to their adorable flat faces. If held tightly they will struggle to protect their breathing.
Toy breeds know they are small and will often put up an unbelievable tussle to get away.
Dogs are often triggered by being held tightly or controlled. This may come from puppy play, when they wrestle and play-fight. It's not fun for dogs (or us) to have siblings pile on and make us feel helpless. (I'm looking at my three sisters).
Also, keep the mood upbeat and fun. Make a game of applying Nose Butter and follow it up with treats and most dogs can be won over.
Wonderful Service and Wonderful Product! Best Wishes for continued success!
So easy to use and great all natural product. His nose is perfect now.
This has been amazing for my Cano Corso her nose is so much better!
Is a cavalier King Charles Sspaniel. He had that ugly crust on his nose and after using the Boo balm it fell off. The products are gentle and effective. Boo is a happy dog and now we can be a happy family. Thanks a lot!!
I thought my older Vizsla was just supposed to have an old crusty nose. This treatment has been easy to apply, Louie dog doesn't mind it at all, and his nose dryness is disappearing. He still had a young nose under there. Really glad I found this product.
Our Frenchie no longer suffers from a dry nose and seems a lot happier
My dobie puppy’s nose was cracking and this resolved it in about 3 days! Love that it’s a more natural product! I will definitely be purchasing more products from this company
Very happy! His nose looks so much better🙂
I applied it 1-2 times a day for just a few days and my dog's nose it nearly all better. He does lick it off as soon as I put it on him so now I put it on and then give him wet food right away and it stays on. Excellent product!