Chihuahua Nose Butter® Moisturizing Relief For Your Little Dog's Dry Nose
Your Chihuahua does not spend their days tracking lost travelers, sniffing out bombs or retrieving birds on the lake. Your Chihuahua may never sniff out much more than a Cheetos under the sofa. But having a healthy nose is still important to your Chihuahua's looking and feeling their best.
Your Chihuahua's Dry Nose
Your Chihuahua's dry nose can range from just a bit dry, where their little nose looks dull and not as moist as you know it should, all the way to extremely dry with layers of crust and scab-like tissue covering it. If your Chi's nose looks like the ones below, they may have Nasal Hyperkeratosis.
Nasal Hyperkeratosis is a condition of unknown causes that causes the skin tissue on dog's nose to grow uncontrollably and covering all or parts of the nose with crusty tissue. Our research has shown this affects dogs of extreme body types; very small, very large, very bully, very flat-faced. It may even be a symptom of a slightly depressed immune system.
The good news is Chihuahua Nose Butter® works for all levels of Chihuahua nose dryness.While Nasal Hyperkeratosis can't be cured, it can be controlled with regular usage of Nose Butter
Using Nose Butter - the Quick Version
DAB. DISTRACT. DONE. Apply Nose Butter® 2-3x a day for 2-3 days (or until nose improves. Distract to keep them from licking it off before it gets its work done. Then use as needed for maintenance (usually1-2x a week). It really is that easy!
Keep in mind, your Chihuahua is well aware of their small size and some will do their best to protect themselves. From the old "Best Defense is Good Offense" to twisting and flipping like a Cirque de Soleil performer, your Chihuahua may resist Nose Butter application.
THINK BIG ACT BIG may be their motto. But deep inside they know they are fragile. Complete tips and hints for application on uncooperative dogs in tabs below.
Chihuahua Nose Butter Product Info
- Individually handcrafted by The Blissful Dog in far northern Minnesota
- All natural and organic ingredients used: Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, cocoa seed butter, avocado oil, beeswax + scented version essential oils; cedar wood, cypress and ylang ylang
- .15 oz (lip balm size) or .50 oz tubes + 1, 2, 4, 8 & 16 oz tins
- Unscented or Lightly Scented
- Includes complete directions booklet
- No active ingredients & won't harm your dog if they lick (or eat) some
- Note: Nose Butter is very thick and dense to penetrate your dog's leathery nose tissue
- Chihuahua label - smooth or long-coat
How To Best Use Nose Butter® Info & Video
HOW TO APPLY NOSE BUTTER
- For ease of application and faster absorption put tin or tube in your pocket for a few minutes to warm it
- TIN Scoop a bit out with finger or spoon and warm in your palm before application for faster absorption
- DAB on dog's nose
- DISTRACT to keep them from licking it off (give treat, feed dinner, go for walk)
- REPEAT 2-3x daily for 1-3 days or until there is improvement
- Use as needed for maintenance (usually 1-2x a week)
- Products have no active ingredients and will not harm your dog if they lick some off. But we do want the product to get it's work done, so see distract tips
- Complete tips, hints & directions brochure is included with every order
FYI: Our balms have a very thick, stiff consistency, because your dog's nose is very thick skin tissue. If it were a fluffy cream, it would not work.
Distraction Tips - Look Squirrel!
- Like pulling off a bandaid - Apply FAST
- Give treats before, during and after application, if needed
- Peanut butter on a wooden spoon is a great trick
- Feed their dinner after application
- Play your dog's fave game
- Throw a ball or go for a walk
- Pets and cuddles are always good
Keeping Expectations Real
Every so often a customer tells us their dog doesn’t “like” the Nose Butter, etc. Some dogs just do not like being controlled, messed with, having their faces touched or anything done to them. We get it! Sometimes our dogs do NOT want to be messed with, restrained or have their faces touched. They will flip, fight, twist and turn and some of the dogs have the audacity to wipe the product off on the sofa or their owner's leg!
Your dog may not “like” having Nose Butter applied. They may not like going to the vet or getting their toenails trimmed. Just like most of us don't like going to the dentist, but we go. Sometimes we have to do something for our dog's well-being…cutting toenails, giving meds, cleaning ears, going to the vet, or applying Nose Butter, etc. If your dog struggles, make the process FASTER and reward lavishly. This may be one of those situations in which you have to be firm with your dog, again, for the greater good.
Application Tips for Wiggly, Uncooperative, Licking Dogs
How to Apply Nose, Paw, Elbow and Boo Boo Butter To Wiggly, Uncooperative, Licking, Twisting, Flipping Dogs
We feel your pain. Some of us have dogs that are less than cooperative when it comes to anything being done to them. It is not that they don't like the products themselves, they just don't want anything done to them. Period. For those dogs here are a few tips and tricks, but may we remind you...you are the person and sometimes we have to do what is for our dog's own good…like going to the vet, having toenails cut and maybe having Nose Butter put on their nose.
- Let your dog lick peanut butter off spoon while you apply
- Try strong smelling treats - goat cheese, tuna, fishy treats
- Tag team! One give treats or pet while the other applies
- Go for a walk, throw a ball
- Dab on while they sleep - sneaky!
- Be FAST! Dab! Distract! Done!
Additional Tips for Flat-Faced Dogs, Lickers and Carpet Rubbers
Flat-faced dogs often resist application, as their breathing is already compromised. Apply as quickly as possible and don’t hold your flat-faced dog tightly, as this often makes them struggle more. This goes for Toy Dogs also, they know they're small and don't want to held tightly for fear of being hurt.
DISTRACTION - BE TENACIOUS
First be sure you are warming the product to the point of melted before application. It will soak in much faster if almost there when you apply.
Distracting dogs that are determined to lick the product off (or rub it off on furniture) may take some tenacity on your part. Treats, walks, throwing a ball or just petting them may work. Think of anything your dog loves and use that on them for the ten minutes or so needed. Stick to it...it’s for your dog’s well-being.
Nose Butter® All Natural Ingredients
NOSE BUTTER® is individually handcrafted, mixed and poured one-by-one by The Blissful Dog team here in far northern Minnesota using the following all natural and organic good stuff.
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Seed Butter
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Castor Oil
- Olive Oil
- Scented Formulation: Cedarwood, Cypress and Ylang Ylang Essential Oils
- Or Unscented.
- More info on ingredients here.
Choosing Which Nose Butter® Is Best For Your Dog
WHICH NOSE BUTTER DOES YOUR DOG NEED?
NOSE BUTTER is the same formulation for all the dog breeds, whether it is in tins or tubes and with any label. The breed labels allow you to customize your NOSE BUTTER with your dog's breed on the label (like a breed mug or tshirt). Don’t see your breed? Check out JUST A NOSE (label has uh, Just A Nose) and MIXED Breed Dog labels.
WHY SO MANY SIZES OF TINS & TUBES?
Dogs come in all sizes, so we offer a variety of sizes of tins and tubes.
WHICH IS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR DOG - NOSE BUTTER IN TINS OR TUBES?
- NOSE BUTTER® is same formula/recipe/magic stuff in tins and tubes
- TINS - better value per ounce
- TINS - great for hands-on application
- TUBES - ez to use - dab and done
- TUBES - no mess
- TUBES - great for travel
- FYI: Tube is like a chapstick, glue stick or deodorant tube NOT a toothpaste tube
- Toy dogs - lip balm sized tubes are great for tiny noses
- Larger size better value per ounce
- Larger sizes save on postage (especially internationally)
- Older dogs need more frequent applications
- Some individual dogs need more frequent applications
- Shelf life is 3 years (or longer) when stored in dry, cool conditions
Nasal Hyperkeratosis Info - Extremely Dry Dog Noses
NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS AKA CRUSTY CRUD, BARNACLE NOSE
Is your dog’s nose EXTREMELY dry? Does it look like barnacles are growing on it? Are there layers or chunks of crust that crack and bleed? If your dog’s nose looks like the BEFORE noses in the image above, it may be Nasal Hyperkeratosis. Rest assured, it is not caused by diet, genetics, playing in the dirt or anything you can control. And the good news is Nose Butter® works on it!
Nasodigital or Nasal Hyperkeratosis is an idiopathic condition, which means unknown cause ¯\(°_o)/¯ that causes excessive formulation of dry crust that vets call keratin, (vet-speak for protein). It actually IS layers of skin tissue that has grown wild over on the nose.
This condition isn't life-threatening and most veterinarians consider Nasal Hyperkeratosis cosmetic. But there are medical, cosmetic and mental health reasons that this dry nose condition can affect your dog's well being. It has to be uncomfortable for your dog. Your dog cannot breathe as easily. It’s unattractive, of course.
Most importantly, your dog is not getting the scents and smells they need to feel secure and confident. A healthy nose snags good smells that float by and provides your dog with info. A dry nose is not going to capture the info packed smells. This can lead to frustration and a lack of self confidence.
You know you feel when have NO SERVICE as you drive in an unfamiliar area? Probably frustrated, anxious and maybe terrified. Your dog experiences those same emotions when they can't get the info they need to make good dog decisions.
What An Awesome Product!
I love the shampoo, my dingy yellowed 16-year old rescue is brighter and whiter. Next, the NOSE BUTTER, what an AWESOME product. I bought the non-scented and my 6-year old rescue, who has kidney issues, well, now her nose is healing. She's not even licking it off like she did in the beginning. I just hold her for 2 minutes then let her go. Thank you Blissful Dog and Kathy, as I try the other products I will leave a comment. Bonnie in Florida
That's what we love to hear! We're thrilled that our products worked for your dogs! - Kathy
It worked great!
We actually purchased this product for our older cat with a dry nose, and we saw definite improvement in just a week. She also didn't seem bothered at all when we applied it. I have purchased this in the past for our dog, and again, it worked great! We will definitely buy again & recommend to others.
I absolutely ADORE that picture! Your cat is not please AT ALL with posing next to a d.o.g. Those ears are killing me. Thank you so very much for sharing with us. You made my day! -Kathy
I bought this for my mom to use on her chibuahua’s nose. In a short time her rough, crusty nose now looks normal!
Thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know how our Nose Butter has worked for your mothers dogs! It made our day! - Kathy
My moms poor little dog had a dry nose due to his propensity to hang out next to the heater during the winter months. I ordered him this nose butter and she said its working great!
Thats great to hear! We are so glad our product is working well for her dog! Thank you! - Kathy
When we remember to put it on her it works really well. Even when we forget a few days her nose is softer. She tries to lick it off so I guess it tastes good