Bernese Mountain Dog Nose Butter® Moisturizes Your Berner's Dry Nose...Naturally
Your Bernese Mountain Dog Was Bred To Be A Hardworking Farm Dog
The Bernese Mountain dog originated in the Swiss mountains where they drove or herded dairy cattle, watched over the farm and offered companionship to the farmers. They are one of several dog breeds originating in the Alpine mountains. (CLICK for my article on how the Berner was saved from near extinction).
Berner Dry Nose Conditions
Bernese Mountain Dogs often have a dry nose which ranges from a bit of dryness to a more extreme dryness called nasal hyperkeratosis. Nasal Hyperkeratosis is a skin condition in which the nose tissue grows uncontrollably over the top of your dog's nose forming layers of scab-like crust. The good news is Nose Butter works for all ranges of Berner nose dryness from just a tiny bit dry to extreme Nasal Hyperkeratosis.
Unlike his hardworking Swiss ancestors, your Berner may never do any harder work than keeping the cat from climbing in your lap. But nature is still telling him to keep his nose moist and pliable. The moistness acts as smell catching flypaper, catching the scent particles that give your dog info. Dry nose = less info!
A Healthy Nose Is Important To Your Bernese Mountain Dog
Your Berner counts on his sense of smell to get all the info he needs to make good canine decisions. That info is hard to get with a dry, crusty nose. How do you feel when you have no bars on your cell phone? Stressed, on-edge, out of the loop and anxious? That's how your Berner feels without getting his sensory info.
Bernese Mountain Dog Nose Butter moisturizes and nourished the dry nose leather (technical term) of your dog’s nose. After a few days of Nose Butter usage your dog will look better and feel better. Your Bernese Mountain Dog will be more secure, grounded and confident when he gets the info needed to make good decisions.
Bernese Mountain Dog Nose Butter® Product Info
- Handcrafted by The Blissful Dog in far Northern Minnesota
- All natural and organic ingredients used: Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, cocoa seed butter, avocado oil, beeswax + scented version essential oils; cedar wood, cypress and ylang ylang
- .15 oz (lip balm size) & .50 oz tubes + 1, 2, 4, 8 & 16 oz tins
- Unscented or Lightly Scented
- Includes complete directions booklet
- Bernese Mountain Dog on the label
- Non-toxic, safe if licked or swallowed
How To Best Use Nose Butter® Info & Video
HOW TO APPLY NOSE BUTTER
- For ease of application and faster absorption put tin or tube in your pocket for a few minutes to warm it
- TIN Scoop a bit out with finger or spoon and warm in your palm before application for faster absorption
- DAB on dog's nose
- DISTRACT to keep them from licking it off (give treat, feed dinner, go for walk)
- REPEAT 2-3x daily for 1-3 days or until there is improvement
- Use as needed for maintenance (usually 1-2x a week)
- Products have no active ingredients and will not harm your dog if they lick some off. But we do want the product to get it's work done, so see distract tips
- Complete tips, hints & directions brochure is included with every order
FYI: Our balms have a very thick, stiff consistency, because your dog's nose is very thick skin tissue. If it were a fluffy cream, it would not work.
Distraction Tips - Look Squirrel!
- Like pulling off a bandaid - Apply FAST
- Give treats before, during and after application, if needed
- Peanut butter on a wooden spoon is a great trick
- Feed their dinner after application
- Play your dog's fave game
- Throw a ball or go for a walk
- Pets and cuddles are always good
Keeping Expectations Real
Every so often a customer tells us their dog doesn’t “like” the Nose Butter, etc. Some dogs just do not like being controlled, messed with, having their faces touched or anything done to them. We get it! Sometimes our dogs do NOT want to be messed with, restrained or have their faces touched. They will flip, fight, twist and turn and some of the dogs have the audacity to wipe the product off on the sofa or their owner's leg!
Your dog may not “like” having Nose Butter applied. They may not like going to the vet or getting their toenails trimmed. Just like most of us don't like going to the dentist, but we go. Sometimes we have to do something for our dog's well-being…cutting toenails, giving meds, cleaning ears, going to the vet, or applying Nose Butter, etc. If your dog struggles, make the process FASTER and reward lavishly. This may be one of those situations in which you have to be firm with your dog, again, for the greater good.
Application Tips for Wiggly, Uncooperative, Licking Dogs
How to Apply Nose, Paw, Elbow and Boo Boo Butter To Wiggly, Uncooperative, Licking, Twisting, Flipping Dogs
We feel your pain. Some of us have dogs that are less than cooperative when it comes to anything being done to them. It is not that they don't like the products themselves, they just don't want anything done to them. Period. For those dogs here are a few tips and tricks, but may we remind you...you are the person and sometimes we have to do what is for our dog's own good…like going to the vet, having toenails cut and maybe having Nose Butter put on their nose.
- Let your dog lick peanut butter off spoon while you apply
- Try strong smelling treats - goat cheese, tuna, fishy treats
- Tag team! One give treats or pet while the other applies
- Go for a walk, throw a ball
- Dab on while they sleep - sneaky!
- Be FAST! Dab! Distract! Done!
Additional Tips for Flat-Faced Dogs, Lickers and Carpet Rubbers
Flat-faced dogs often resist application, as their breathing is already compromised. Apply as quickly as possible and don’t hold your flat-faced dog tightly, as this often makes them struggle more. This goes for Toy Dogs also, they know they're small and don't want to held tightly for fear of being hurt.
DISTRACTION - BE TENACIOUS
First be sure you are warming the product to the point of melted before application. It will soak in much faster if almost there when you apply.
Distracting dogs that are determined to lick the product off (or rub it off on furniture) may take some tenacity on your part. Treats, walks, throwing a ball or just petting them may work. Think of anything your dog loves and use that on them for the ten minutes or so needed. Stick to it...it’s for your dog’s well-being.
Nose Butter® All Natural Ingredients
NOSE BUTTER® is individually handcrafted, mixed and poured one-by-one by The Blissful Dog team here in far northern Minnesota using the following all natural and organic good stuff.
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Seed Butter
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Castor Oil
- Olive Oil
- Scented Formulation: Cedarwood, Cypress and Ylang Ylang Essential Oils
- Or Unscented.
- More info on ingredients here.
Choosing Which Nose Butter® Is Best For Your Dog
WHICH NOSE BUTTER DOES YOUR DOG NEED?
NOSE BUTTER is the same formulation for all the dog breeds, whether it is in tins or tubes and with any label. The breed labels allow you to customize your NOSE BUTTER with your dog's breed on the label (like a breed mug or tshirt). Don’t see your breed? Check out JUST A NOSE (label has uh, Just A Nose) and MIXED Breed Dog labels.
WHY SO MANY SIZES OF TINS & TUBES?
Dogs come in all sizes, so we offer a variety of sizes of tins and tubes.
WHICH IS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR DOG - NOSE BUTTER IN TINS OR TUBES?
- NOSE BUTTER® is same formula/recipe/magic stuff in tins and tubes
- TINS - better value per ounce
- TINS - great for hands-on application
- TUBES - ez to use - dab and done
- TUBES - no mess
- TUBES - great for travel
- FYI: Tube is like a chapstick, glue stick or deodorant tube NOT a toothpaste tube
- Toy dogs - lip balm sized tubes are great for tiny noses
- Larger size better value per ounce
- Larger sizes save on postage (especially internationally)
- Older dogs need more frequent applications
- Some individual dogs need more frequent applications
- Shelf life is 3 years (or longer) when stored in dry, cool conditions
Nasal Hyperkeratosis Info - Extremely Dry Dog Noses
NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS AKA CRUSTY CRUD, BARNACLE NOSE
Is your dog’s nose EXTREMELY dry? Does it look like barnacles are growing on it? Are there layers or chunks of crust that crack and bleed? If your dog’s nose looks like the BEFORE noses in the image above, it may be Nasal Hyperkeratosis. Rest assured, it is not caused by diet, genetics, playing in the dirt or anything you can control. And the good news is Nose Butter® works on it!
Nasodigital or Nasal Hyperkeratosis is an idiopathic condition, which means unknown cause ¯\(°_o)/¯ that causes excessive formulation of dry crust that vets call keratin, (vet-speak for protein). It actually IS layers of skin tissue that has grown wild over on the nose.
This condition isn't life-threatening and most veterinarians consider Nasal Hyperkeratosis cosmetic. But there are medical, cosmetic and mental health reasons that this dry nose condition can affect your dog's well being. It has to be uncomfortable for your dog. Your dog cannot breathe as easily. It’s unattractive, of course.
Most importantly, your dog is not getting the scents and smells they need to feel secure and confident. A healthy nose snags good smells that float by and provides your dog with info. A dry nose is not going to capture the info packed smells. This can lead to frustration and a lack of self confidence.
You know you feel when have NO SERVICE as you drive in an unfamiliar area? Probably frustrated, anxious and maybe terrified. Your dog experiences those same emotions when they can't get the info they need to make good dog decisions.
Love Love Love it !!!!!
This product is simply amazing ! We tried everything for our Bernese and this was the only thing that helped .
What a gorgeous Berner and the cookie on nose is absolutely a hoot! Our rotten bunch would never be so good. But then Berners are the sweetest! Thank you again and an extra thank you for sharing these fab pictures. Kathy
My dog Huck got a dry nose this spring, it was a little bit rough and had a very dry ridge at the top. I saw the nose butter and ordeeed it. I only used it a few times and his nose is back to normal.
Thank you so much for letting us know! Huck is one lucky Berner to have you taking care of his needs. Thanks for letting us know. -Kathy
I loved the Nose Butter
It worked great! My dog's nose was back to normal after a week or so. I will keep using the Nose Butter.
That is wonderful news! Thank you giving us an update on how well our Nose Butter has been working for your dog! - Kathy
Sent some wrong products?
Ordered products for Christmas presents for my friends young furbabies as well as a present for our Bernese puppy. 3 nose butters (which were correct) and a tin of paw butter, however received elbow butter instead. It was a bummer as I didn't open the delivered pink package until Dec 22 when I was wrapping them to put under tree.
Bernese Mountain Dog NOSE BUTTER Review
Thank you so much, our dog's nose has recovered and she is a lot more comfortable. It only took three days of multiple applications to clear it all up and now she's on once a day maintenance. We are so pleased with your product.