Info on AntiFreeze from Dogster – SAD

June 02, 2009

7 Things You Need to Know About Antifreeze

Working at Dogster is like being one of the people who runs the dog park – the hilarious times are many and the lessons learned are valuable. But sadly enough, it’s not always just fun and games. Those days do roll around when you show up and one of the dog park regulars is not there.

Last week, there wasn’t just one dog who didn’t show up to play. There were three. Dogster dogs Jake, Joey, and Nari had to be put to sleep last week, after having ingested antifreeze.

It is said that antifreeze is responsible for the poisoning of over 10,000 dogs and cats every year. The toxic ingredient to blame is ethylene glycol, a substance that is found not only in antifreeze, but in radiator coolant, brake fluid, hydraulic fluid, and other automotive liquids. Its sweet-smelling and tasting properties make it attractive to pets, and it doesn’t take much to cause damage. One to two teaspoons can poison a cat, three tablespoons can kill a medium-sized dog.

Because it’s a substance that is readily available at auto supply stores and is used in nearly every motor vehicle on the road, it’s important that pet owners know a few things about antifreeze and its effect on small animals. Here are seven things that you should be aware of:

* Symptoms vary, depending on how long it has been since the dog drank the antifreeze. They will also depend on how much of the poison they drank.

* Initial symptoms mirror those of intoxication.

* The ethylene glycol can cause an irritating effect on a dog’s stomach, which may cause vomiting.

* Dogs will urinate and drink excessively. They may be depressed and exhibit signs of poor balance.

* Dogs drink more because the thirst centers of the brain are stimulated in response to the poison ingestion.

* While some dogs may appear to look and feel better 12 hours later, it is only because the liver and kidneys are working to metabolize the ethylene glycol. It is common, however, that symptoms return in 24 hours, and are much worse. Things to look for are dehydration, weakness, depression, diarrhea, rapid breathing, mouth ulcers and seizures.

* If you are certain that your dog has consumed antifreeze, you should attempt to induce vomiting and get him or her to a medical professional immediately.

The post Info on AntiFreeze from Dogster – SAD appeared first on The Blissful Dog® Inc..





Got something to add? Leave it here!

Since I am all about being politically correct (and hating spam-bots), I moderate comments


Also in From The Blissful Dog

BRIGHT, SHINY NEW UPDATES

November 11, 2015

THE BLISSFUL DOG WEBSITE UPDATE & OVERHAUL I know, I know, nobody really cares about all the nuts and bolts parts but me and my team. Alycia and Ashley act like they care, but I suppose they have to since I pay them. Hahaha. Anyhow, if you’ve shopped with us before you may have noticed […]

The post BRIGHT, SHINY NEW UPDATES appeared first on The Blissful Dog® Inc..

Read the rest... →

BOSTON TERRIER NOSE BUTTER REVIEW

August 21, 2015

BOSTON TERRIER NOSE BUTTER REVIEW Never even heard of NOSE BUTTER until about two weeks ago. Once we started searching for something to help my Boston terrier we luckily stumbled upon it. The pictures below are over a four day time frame. Never in a million year would I have thought that the nose butter […]

The post BOSTON TERRIER NOSE BUTTER REVIEW appeared first on The Blissful Dog® Inc..

Read the rest... →

BOXER NOSE FOLLOW-UP

August 19, 2015

BOXER NOSE FOLLOW-UP NOSE BUTTER REVIEW FOR BOXER’S DRY NOSE Hi there, I emailed previously to say your NOSE BUTTER® was really helping my elderly boxers nose. I just wanted to let you know her nose is now back to normal.  It was in a very bad state before using this.  I am usually quite […]

The post BOXER NOSE FOLLOW-UP appeared first on The Blissful Dog® Inc..

Read the rest... →